RSS

Spoilers from Jesse Tyler Ferguson

[Photo: ABC]


On Pop Wrap at the New York Post, Jesse Tyler Ferguson talked about some spoilers for the next episodes, including the Hawaii vacation and the possibility of Gabourey Sidibe guesting on "Modern Family".  He also spoke of Lily and Eric Stonestreet and their relationship with each other.  He says that a lot of things and new ideas can go on in the next episodes to come.  I say that the story line is amazing and the creators have done a great job in making this comedy a hit, not to mention the superb actors that implemented the ideas that are pouring in the show.  One of these actors that have been great in the lime light is Jesse, and here is what happened during the interview:


PopWrap: In tonight's episode, what's this I hear of Lily saying her first word -- and that it turns out to be 'mamma?'

Jesse Tyler Ferguson:
[laughs] Yes, and in the grand tradition of "Modern Family," she says it in the arms of an Asian woman.


PW: Mitchell and Cameron's pediatrician, right?

Jesse:
Exactly. Suzy Nakamura plays the Dr. Miura and she's hilarious. They actually pitched the storyline after her first appearance [in episode 6], so they've had this in the pipeline for a long time.


PW: So Lily's first word is 'mamma.' What was yours?

Jesse:
I don't know! Let's get my mom on a conference call! I mean, I can speculate -- it was probably in the form of a song, something like, "Swaneeeeeee!"


PW: Now that you've been playing this role for almost a full season, what do you like best about playing one half of this couple?

Jesse:
I think they could have cast these roles a million different ways, and they chose to go a little more middle of the road as far as how Eric and I look. We aren't what you typically see on TV representing gay men -- look, I go to a gym in West Hollywood, I certainly feel out of place there. But we represent a large quantity of gay men so it's refreshing to portray the gay man that I am in real life on TV.


PW: Sometimes it seems like Mitchell and Eric are more like roommates than partners. Have you noticed that?

Jesse:
A lot of people don't think we show enough affection to each other. But I feel like they're struggling to be new dads, so this shows how a relationship can suffer when you have to redefine your priorities. I don't think it has anything to do with ABC being nervous about "showing the gays being intimate," but Eric and I have been pushing the writers to remind the audience that we are a couple in a loving relationship, so we try to inject intimacy into our scenes, whether it's with a touch of the hand or a pack on the cheek.


PW: Do you think Cam and Mitchell might adopt more kids in the future?

Jesse:
It's definitely something we talk about. We love the idea of adopting a teenager -- what would that be like? I love the idea, but wouldn't want to see it happen for a couple more years. I really like growing up with Lily right now and I don't think me, Jesse, is ready for a new kid any more than Mitchell is.


PW: It was revealed last week that the cast is headed to Hawaii to film the season finale. What can you tell us about that?

Jesse:
We're actually not sure if it's going to be the season finale, it might end up being another episode. But it came about because we shot this episode where we're all stuck in the airport -- where everything that can go wrong does go wrong -- on the way to a family vacation. And it was just going to be that episode, but we realized that we were missing the fun of seeing this family travel together. Especially with Cam and Mitchell being new parents, we didn't want to miss seeing them travel with a baby for the first time. So the writers decided to do it. We leave on Sunday.


PW: Pretty amazing, typically shows save the Hawaiian vacation for when they're actually in trouble, ratings-wise!

Jesse:
I think people might think we're trying to do too much in the first season, but we've only begun to scratch the surface of this family when you think about it.


PW: Especially if you keep bringing in more family members, like Shelley Long as your mom and Fred Willard as Phil's dad!

Jesse:
And Fred will be back -- I want people to know that because the Internet was filled with all these angry rants about us wasting Fred the first time [he was only briefly in one episode]. It was like, "calm down people, we're just introducing him to bring him back!"


PW: Which of the other guest stars do you think we might see again?

Jesse:
I'm dying for more Shelley Long. I think that relationship needs to be explored more. I'd also like to see Elizabeth Banks back. She is our best friend afterall, I don't think we'd just drop her. She'll definitely be back at some point.


PW: Are there any actors you'd like to have on the show?

Jesse:
The one person I actually have gone after -- because she'd be so brilliant -- is Gabourey Sidibe. I think she would be fantastic as a nanny we hire. She's just so bubbly and sweet and a fan of the show. I think this would be a seamless fit for her.


PW: I think we're also hoping for some more old school ice dancing routines from Mitchell and Claire!


Jesse:
I'm so glad people love that, because it was probably my favorite episode to date and so much fun to do with Julie [Bowen]. I don't know that we'll see any more ice dancing, but there's more that will definitely be drudged up from their past life as siblings.



PW: It's funny, you never forget that these three families are related, but sometimes you forget that they have such elaborate histories together.


Jesse:
That's the genius of the show's concept -- we're just scratching the surface. There are so many relationships to be explored -- whether it's Mitchell and his father, who hasn't totally accept having a gay son yet , or Cam & Gloria, who are like the outsiders that married in to this crazy world, there's all these great bonds between the characters. I knew this show had a lot of potential to be really special and have legs to run for years without getting stale, but when you step back, it's crazy to see how little we've actually explored in the first 24 episodes.



PW: What are you really excited for fans to see in the last half of the season?


Jesse:
I just shot a scene yesterday where Mitchell, who's afraid of birds, gets stuck in the house with a loose pigeon. It'll probably end up just being a one-minute long scene, but it was so much fun to shoot -- I'm excited to see how all the physical comedy comes off. I'm also anxious to see a scene where I end up in an article of clothing that's going to surprise a lot of people. One that I had a little too much fun wearing in real life [laughs].



PW: Earlier you mentioned fan outrage over Fred Willard and we follow you on Twitter, is it fun being able to connect with fans like that?


Jesse:
It is. I kinda didn't get the point of Twitter at first, but it's fun. And also dangerous because people can misconstrue something you say in those 140 characters. The other day I sarcastically said to Carrie Ann Inaba, "I can't believe I am going to be on DWTS! I'm so excited!!!" And immediately stories were being picked up that I was part of the cast. Sarcasm doesn't come over well on Twitter. So it can be dangerous and you certainly shouldn't Twitter after a few drinks. Drunk Twittering is the new drunk dialing!




PW: So, which celeb are you betting on for this season?
 

Jesse: Well, you know I love my Evan [Lysacek]. I've never even met the guy, I just think he's swell. I have personal reasons for liking him [laughs]. I have to say, I know that Kate [Gosselin] is getting a lot of heat, but I'm very anxious to see her dancing. And my very good friend Niecy Nash is in the cast and I had no idea! She totally kept that a surprise from me, so she's my favorite to win.



PW: And now that you share a network, I bet ABC can totally hook you up with Evan!
 

Jesse: Oh, I know -- there are so many ins right now!

"Modern Family" airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on ABC



(Source: New York Post)

0 comments: