RSS

Sofia Vergara, the Latina Wife


[Photo: ABC]


Sofia Verga talks about her role as Ed O'Neills wife in the new comedy series, Modern Family. 


One of the fall's best new comedies, ABC's Modern Family uses the mockumentary format to follow the lives of three different family structures. Sofia Vergara stars in the series as Gloria, who is married to Jay (Ed O'Neill), a man old enough to get mistaken for her father. Jay's own children are adults, but he now must contend with helping raise Gloria's young son (Rico Rodriguez)– and keeping up with a wife with a lot more energy than he has.

I recently spoke to Vergara about Modern Family and what it's like playing the wife of the former Al Bundy.

IGN: I'm guessing you never watched Married with Children and thought, "One day I'm going to play that guy's wife!"

Vergara: No, are you kidding me? I saw that show a lot in Colombia. It was great; it was one of our favorites. But I never, never thought "I'll play his wife!" [Laughs]

IGN: This seems like an unlikely relationship on the surface. What do you think it is that drew these two together?

Vergara: Well, I think she was coming out from a very difficult relationship with the ex-husband. He wasn't responsible, he was like a playboy doing all kinds of crazy things and not being responsible with the kid. And then to meet this guy that is completely the opposite… I think that's why she loves him, because he's so different. He's giving her all that she never had with the other guy.

IGN: TV Critics can be a very tough crowd, to say the least, but it's clear most of us love your show.

Vergara: Thank you! I'm so happy, because I've already done three [series], so I'm hoping this one is the last one! [Laughs]

IGN: When you shot the pilot, did you feel like the cast and chemistry was all really clicking in?

Vergara: I think you never know how it's going to be until the end when they send you the DVD and you see the whole thing put together. For me, I knew the script was funny, but when I saw it, I was completely surprised how the idea of the show [came together]. Because at the beginning, I didn't understand that well about the mockumentary, but then when I saw it, it made sense.

IGN: I was trying to get my head around your character's son and how thanks to the marriage, he would be an uncle of sorts to Ed's character's grandkids, even if they're older than him.

Vergara: And that makes me a grandmother, too! I don't know how they're going to play that, but I'm sure that's part of the whole funny situation. It's going to be different. And also that it's very real – there are families like that nowadays. Even me, my son is 18 years old. It happens! Weird things happen.

IGN: As a mom, can you relate to how protective your character is, such as in the soccer scene in the pilot, when she's yelling at other parents?

Vergara: Yeah, definitely. She's very Latin. I totally love the role, because it's so easy for me to play her. She's like how most of us Latin women are. Of course it's a comedy, so I exaggerate a little bit, but we have that essence that she has – protective and very fiery and fun.

IGN: How is it working with Ed?

Vergara: We work great together, because we both don't like to work. [Laughs] We're both like, "Okay, let's do it one more time and that's it."
 

IGN: I imagine it must be very different as an actor doing the mockumentary interview scenes.
 

Vergara: Yes, but it's fun, because you get to do mistakes, and they work! It even makes it more real. It is different. I've never done something like that.


(Source: IGN TV)

0 comments: